Without good navigational skills, your expedition could lead to failure or result in a dangerous situation. Try to use a laminated map which is better in wet conditions. 1:25,000 scale maps provide the greatest detail. One grid square equals 1 kilometer. Use map keys for reference. Don't mistake boundary walls for footpaths. A compass points to magnetic north and the top of the planet is called true north. Magnetic north is constantly moving and its position relative to true north is different in different locations. Use a route card to plot your route on the map. The end of one leg is always the start of the next one. To take a bearing, place your compass edge along the intended route. Read the number from the index line and add the magnetic variation to get your bearing.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades